We provide a full range of services relating to inventions, patent applications and patents, including:
Prior to patenting
Undertaking invention harvesting exercises:
- Discussing ongoing projects with engineers and scientists to identify and evaluate potential inventions;
Undertaking or organising searches:
- To establish if an invention is new, or to investigate if there is freedom to use an invention without infringing the patents of others;
Advising on the results of searches;
Advising as to the patentability of a new invention.
Drafting patent applications;
Filing and prosecuting patent applications in the UKIPO, EPO, or WIPO;
With the cooperation of foreign attorneys, filing and prosecuting applications abroad.
Validating European patents in chosen designated countries;
Advising as to the validity and infringement of patents;
Attending to the renewal of patents worldwide;
Dealing with working requirements.
Commercial and general
Assigning and licensing applications, patents and inventions:
- Including advising on the IP aspects of a proposed agreement and attending to the registration of transactions and transfers worldwide;
Advising as to patent entitlement;
Setting up watches to investigate the patent activities of others;
Advising and developing patenting strategies, including assisting with budgeting;
Managing patent portfolios;
Undertaking due diligence investigations:
- For example, identifying the patents and applications amongst assets included in a transaction, checking their status and their ownership, and where required investigating the validity of the patents and applications;
Undertaking IP Audits:
- This includes identifying all of the existing IP of a business, establishing the ownership of the IP, and identifying any necessary or recommended steps to further safeguard the identified rights. Government funding of up to £3000 is available to UK businesses wishing to have an audit undertaken.
Acting in validity and infringement disputes whether at a Patent Office or in the courts;
Acting in opposition and appeal proceedings at the EPO;
Acting in proceedings at UKIPO to request opinions;
Acting in patent entitlement disputes;
Preparing and filing third party submissions;
Managing litigation in a number of countries.